There is an ongoing debate on the EMI or English as a medium of instruction or whether to enhance and promote the use of the local dialect in Filipino when teaching in the classroom.
The vocabulary and the phraseology belonging to an indefinite expanse of art or a development of knowledge is of utmost respect globally.
The form of the verbal expression and or communication issues escalates an integral part of the whole setup. The English Language, also nicknamed as the universal language, has been distinctly used as the medium of instruction (EMI) worldwide as the world evolves, especially in the two EMI aspects:
- The use of English in higher education like the graduate school for the attainment of a master’s or a doctorate degree.
- In the non-English speaking nations like Asia, English as a second language takes credence.
Henceforth, I list down the comparative analysis of the advantages and disadvantages of having English as a medium of instruction of learning in schools.
The 18 Advantages of English as a Medium of Instruction (EMI)
- We can be at par in the global job market to help our economy and the global system of communication.
- The students in private school, firmly established and primarily supported by a non-governmental sector, can easily read and comprehend in English.
- Prior to an implied past to present time, the educators are already accustomed and adapted to the existing conditions and practice with English as the medium of instruction.
- The textbooks, containing a presentation of the principles of a succession of subjects, are for all levels or position in scale.
- The lesson plans and the reading exercises to be studied by the learners are all in English. With detailed formulation of a pure program of action.
- An attentive and a systematic observer in private school can speak with ease, involving little of difficulty in expressing one’s quality of thoughts, opinions, or feelings orally with comprehension. They are considerably far better or more favorably equipped in English communication. They exchange the practice of keeping the process by which the information between individuals thru a common system, conventional signs and the linguistic string.
- We recognize the Filipinos with known authority on a first-rate truly very good of its kind in English communication, language, literature and composition of subject in the whole of the Asia continent.
- A multitude of the US and UK call center offices in the corporate world have remarkable investments to commit in order to earn a financial return here in Ph. The multifold of call center offices have employed to provide a job that pays wages to thousands of English speaking Filipinos. Filipinos expressing themselves readily, clearly, articulate and effectively in the English language make an edge on the global career wise market. This highly contributes a good amount of bucks or shekels for the structure and conditions of economic life in Ph. In the international research world. Filipinos use English to publish comprehensive research works in international journals, increasing the ranking of the university globally thanks to the prolific’d minds of scientists in different countries and in Ph.
- International language (English) is a good language of a systematic means business communications as many people worldwide articulate some sounds and great opinions in English. Thus, it would be an advantage to fully express oneself before a group to speak in English. It would somehow facilitate better communication, improved in accuracy and practical performance.
- A large extent of International Business in the Community conduct meetings and or assembly in English. An excellent system for exchange of information to convey in a channel. A large community of universities teaches courses in English as a common language to instruct by precepts and, or example, just as international tourists use English as a universal language. Denoting a nominal relation by a single linguistic form.
- One can study the movements of the wonderful creativity in formulation of communication expressed in the educational materials online. Many collective in study that deals mainly with the momentous significance methodologies of teaching in schools. Simply because the primitive stage of the net civilization is English, considering it mended by an ultra-smart American “Tim Berners- Lee.”
- English is the best first in rank, numero uno importance and an influential medium of communication worldwide. It’s ethically fitting the best technology of the transmission of information as by summing up with the pace of print, words, speak, or utter, and in telecommunication.
- The instructions on the technology and a long printed literary composition, and books are endlessly English. Because it’s time or season of the growth and development to produce something such as a useful device and profound process for the first time originated in the USA or US inventor.
- The language of instruction in Asia is English. Thus, the reference materials refer the readers’ efficiency to another source of information in English. There is a legion of English terms, words, and expressions that have a precise meaning in some uses or are peculiar to a Filipino counterpart, a science, project, profession, and subject like atom, and so forth. A half corresponding copies of a legal instrument or a duplicate copy.
- Training, guidance and instruction in Filipino to schools help promote patronage and spur to patriotism, a love for and devotion to one’s country. Placing a fundamental emphasis on enhancing its culture and interests.
- English is the universally implemented language of the media industry, from tv shows, tv news, songs, books, net, films, and so forth. It’s the cherished systematic means or course of communicating ideas, feelings by the use of conventionalized sounds, signs, gestures with having its understood meanings.
- English is the language of the electronic communications network on the internet that connects computer networks and the organizational computer facilities. The fundamental world’s considerable largest and cutting edge of tech companies has the center of its operational activities in English-speaking countries.
- To go on a travel or tour requires and shows a little effort with an excellent command and knowledge in English.
The 12 Disadvantages of English as Medium of Instruction (EMI)
- Physics, Chemistry, Geology, Trigonometry, Zoology, Clinical Psychology can’t be otherwise able to in an easy manner translated to turn into one’s own or another language, for example, Filipino, Thai or Japanese. Similarly, with Algebra, a generation of arithmetic in which letters represent numbers are combined according to the rules in arithmetic. In a layperson’s words The square root 8, sines and cosines are all quite difficult to be translated to Filipino, Thai or Nihongo.
- One who studies will have something that impedes and interferes articulation of speech and difficulties in reading and comprehension.
- Educators will have challenges, drawbacks and a condition of mechanical malfunction and difficulty translating subjects in Science,History etc to Filipino
- A literary work relevant to the study of a subject and the textbook’s translations to Filipino is both monochromatic both of length and of dullness. And somehow highly costly too, commanding a high price, especially because of intrinsic value.
- A piece of instruction conversion to Filipino language is quite a mind-numbing lecture and exhausting in its strength, vigor and endurance both for the educators and the learners.
- The Philippines language is not purposely well cultivated, maintaining and striving to maintain its best appearance. For it does not undergo evolutionary change, imparting quickness of motion as fast as English. It’s not of a superior social status quo, to be dependent and subject to another’s jurisdiction, relying on the foreign medium of instructions. Acceptable from a particular viewpoint, educators will not adapt to.
- If we evolve our language, develop it to produce by natural evolutionary processes, make an approach and come up with our own action of describing or making a definite, clear definition like atom, for instance. Then our language will evolve, unfolding into a salutary process of change in certain good direction, and be expansive (collection of the terms and codes available for use as in index system code vocabulary). Ideally transcendent entity to the local community terms, a word or phrase expression that has a precise meaning in some of its uses.
- It becomes a part of the surfacing disadvantage because our language is limited. The fundamental scope of our language is not efficiently encompassing and uncomparably expansive to many of technologies today.
- Those bodies of people who have not brought to completion their formal education have the state of challenges and difficulty navigating through the contemporary involving modern city life. Like a non-English native tongue grade 6 grad fisher who could not employ measures to accomplish and pursue higher education will encounter difficulties in communicating information, thoughts, and feelings.
- An overbearing contingence and possibility of unfortunate events of misunderstanding when a formal consultation and meetings at which information is obtained and evaluated by international researchers that the international world customarily ought to carefully resolve.
- Educators will have an elevated state and conditions of distressing state and enormous difficulty teaching in Filipino. Not all educators have it as their distinguished, inherent native language.
- It will be indeed a notably large inconvenience inopportune, especially in giving annoyance for the educators to guide the best studies and teach in Filipino with subjects in English, Science, Math, Computers and other technical subjects.
Having a commendable mastery and skill in English enriches your children’s chances to study abroad on a scholarship grant and for business communication too—situation favoring or serving some sizeable purpose. Yet I believe it’s best to allow educators to teach Taglish as a medium of instruction (EMI) but only in “Remote Rural Areas” to cater to the needs of public school students to really grasp the lessons well. I have observed the need for that for rural areas where half of its students have a low performance in reading and comprehension, which is a marking of a highest lack of English proficiency, where interventions are highly needed.
Related Bible Verses
God inspires all scripture and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness. Even the famous Theodore Roosevelt acknowledged that the Holy Bible is the foundation of education and all growth therein. Just as we need education for growth here on earth, whilst we likewise need LORD Jesus in our spiritual aspect.2 Timothy 3:16
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.Proverbs 9:10
“Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”John 14:6
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.Proverbs 9:9
Agai-Lochi, E. (2015). English as medium of instruction in university education. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 199, 340-347.
Dearden, J. (2014). English as a medium of instruction-a growing global phenomenon. British Council.
Duran, D., Kurhila, S., & Sert, O. (2022). Word search sequences in teacher-student interaction in an English as medium of instruction context. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 25(2), 502-521.
Galloway, N. (2017). How effective is English as a medium of instruction (EMI). Retrieved April, 20, 2020.
Wannagat, U. (2007). Learning through L2–Content and language integrated learning (CLIL) and English as medium of instruction (EMI). International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 10(5), 663-682.